The Lay Magistrates Training Committee
The Lay Magistrates Training Committee is a sub committee of the Judicial Studies Board. It comprises of a District Judge (MC), Lay Magistrate representatives from each County Court Division, and is headed by the chair of the Lay Magistrates Association.
The remit of the Committee is: -
- To plan and approve an annual programme of training for Lay Magistrates.
- To evaluate all training for Lay Magistrates and recommend improvements where required.
- To occasionally attend external training events and provide written reports.
- To monitor induction training for newly appointed Lay Magistrates as and when the need arises.
- To liaise with and represent the needs of local divisions.
Lay Magistrates’ Training Committee members
- Deirdre Kennedy (Chair)
- Stephen Callan (Antrim)
- Alan McCormick (Ards)
- Mairead Conlon (Armagh & South Down)
- George Munro (Belfast)
- Kevin Donaghy (Belfast)
- Owen Gawith (Craigavon)
- Delia Devlin (Fermanagh & Tyrone)
- Paul McMinn (Londonderry)
- David Moore (Presiding LM)
- District Judge (Magistrates' Court) McCourt
- Gillian Reith, Secretary
- Tia Hatrick, Assistant Secretary